- Undergraduate Education
- B.S., University of Novi Sad, Serbia, Food Engineering, 1977
- Graduate Education
- M.S., Iowa State University, Chemical Engineering, 1983
- Ph.D., Iowa State University, Chemical Engineering, 1986
- Recovery and purification of recombinant biomolecules from transgenic systems
- Characterization of plant-interfering components to protein purification
- Bioprocess design and economics
The goal of the Bioseparations Lab is to develop novel and cost-effective strategies for recovery and purification of recombinant and native proteins by understanding constraints posed by the biological system and the product. Lab members have experience in protein biochemistry, analytical methods development, bioseparations, process design and economics. By leveraging the scientific and engineering expertise we strive to find solutions for a variety of bioprocessing and separations challenges that currently face industrial biotechnology.
- Ravi, A., Foster, E.R., Perez, L.M, Nikolov, Z.L, 2020. Capture chromatography with mixed-mode resins: A case study with recombinant human thioredoxin from E. coli. J. Chromtogr. A, 1625. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2020.461327.
- Soto-Sierra, L. Kulkarni, S. Woodard, S. Nikolov, Z. L. 2020. Processing of permeabilized Chlorella vulgaris biomass into lutein and protein-rich products. J. Applied Phycology, 32(3), 1697-1707
- Guo, S., Ravi, A, Mayfield, S, Nikolov, Z. L. 2019. Exploring the separation power of mixed-modal resins for purification of recombinant osteopontin from clarified E. coli lysates. Biotechnol. Progress, 35:1-12.
- Soto-Sierra, L. Stoykova, P. Nikolov, Z. L. 2018. Extraction and fractionation of microalgae-based products. Algal Research, 36:175-192
- Kulkarni, S. and Nikolov, Z. L. 2018. Process for selective extraction of pigments and functional proteins from Chlorella vulgari. Algal Research, 35: 185-193.
- Ravi, A., Guo, S., Miller Tran, M., Rasala, B., Mayfield, S. Nikolov, Z. L. 2018. Separation options for phosphorylated osteopontin from transgenic microalgae Chlamydomonas reinhardtii” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 19: 585.
- Wilken, L. Ogle, E.T., Lohrman, T. and Nikolov, Z.L. 2016. Impact of dry-milled germ processing on aqueous protein and oil extraction, Food and Bioprocess Technology.9: 612-620
- Munjal, N., Kulkarni, S., Quinones, K, Tran, M., Mayfield, S.P. and Nikolov, Z. L. 2015. Evaluation of pretreatment methods for primary recovery and capture of an antibody fragment (αCD22scFv) from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii lysate, Algal Research 12: 455-462.
- Munjal, N., Garzon-Sanabria, A. J., Quinones, K., Gregory, J., Nikolov, Z.L. 2014. Light-induced production of an antibody fragment and malaria vaccine antigen from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Processes 2: 625-638.