- Srinivasulu Ale
- Undergraduate Education
- B.S., Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University, Agricultural Engineering, 1989
- Graduate Education
- M.S., G.B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Agricultural Engineering, 1992
- Ph.D., Purdue University, Agricultural & Biological Engineering, 2009
Hydrologic and environmental impacts of changes in land use and management; Crop water use efficiency and irrigation decision support tools; Climate change impacts on crop production and evaluation of adaptation strategies; Soil health and ecosystem services; Characterization of groundwater quantity and quality.
Selected Recent Publications
[1Post-Doc supervisee; 2Graduate Student advisee (Chair/Co-Chair); 3Graduate Student advisee (Committee member)]
- Singh, J., S. Ale, P.B. DeLaune, S.K. Himanshu, and E.M. Barnes. 2022. Modeling the impacts of cover crops and no-tillage on soil health and cotton yield in an irrigated cropping system of the Texas Rolling Plains. Field Crops Research. Volume 287, 15 October 2022, 108661.
- Kothari, K., S. Ale, G.W. Marek, C.L. Munster, V.P. Singh, Y. Chen, T.H. Marek, and Q. Xue. 2022. Simulating the climate change impacts and evaluating potential adaptation strategies for irrigated corn production in Northern High Plains of Texas. Climate Risk Management. Vol. 37, 100446.
- Kim1, J., S. Ale, W.R. Teague, and T. Wang. 2022. Evaluating hydrological components and streamflow characteristics under conventional and adaptive multi-paddock grazing management. River Research and Applications. 2022, 1–12.
- Himanshu1, S.K., S. Ale, J.P. Bordovsky, J. Kim1, S. Samanta2, N. Omani1, and E.M. Barnes. 2021. Assessing the impacts of irrigation termination periods on cotton productivity under strategic deficit irrigation regimes. Scientific Reports. 11, 20102 (2021)
- Ale, S., S.K. Himanshu1, S.A. Mauget, D. Hudson, T.S. Goebel, B. Liu, R.L. Baumhardt, J.P. Bordovsky, D.K. Brauer, R.J. Lascano, and D. Gitz III. 2021. Simulated dryland cotton yield response to selected scenario factors associated with soil health. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems. Vol. 4, 617509
- Kothari2, K., S. Ale, J.P. Bordovsky, C.L. Munster, V.P. Singh, J. Nielsen-Gammon, G. Hoogenboom. 2021. Potential genotype-based climate change adaptation strategies for sustaining cotton production in the Texas High Plains: A simulation study. Field Crops Research. Vol. 271, 108261.
- Himanshu1, S.K., Y. Fan, S. Ale, and J.P. Bordovsky. 2021. Simulated efficient crop-growth-stage-based deficit irrigation strategies for maximizing cotton yield, crop water productivity and net returns. Agricultural Water Management. Vol. 250, 106840
- Ale, S., D. R. Harmel, A.P. Nejadhashemi, K. DeJonge, S. Irmak, I. Chaubey, K.R. Douglas-Mankin. 2020. Global water security: Current research and priorities for action. Transactions of the ASABE. 63(1): 49-55.
- Ale, S., N. Omani1, S.K. Himanshu1, J.P. Bordovsky, K.R. Thorp, and E.M. Barnes. 2020. Determining optimum irrigation termination periods for cotton production in the Texas High Plains. Transactions of the ASABE Special collection on Global Water Security. 63(1): 105-115. [Invited Paper]
- Kothari2, K., Ale, J. Bordovsky, K. Thorp, D. Porter, C. Munster, and G. Hoogenboom. 2020. Potential benefits of genotype-based adaptation strategies for grain sorghum production in the Texas High Plains under climate change. European Journal of Agronomy. Vol. 117, 126037.
- Harmel, R.D., I. Chaubey, Ale, A.P. Nejadhashemi, S. Irmak, K. DeJonge, S. Evett, E.M. Barnes, M. Catley-Carlson, S. Hunt, and I. Mani. 2020. Perspectives on Global Water Security. Transactions of the ASABE Special collection on Global Water Security. 63(1): 69-80. [Invited Paper]
- Kothari2, K., S. Ale, J.P. Bordovsky, and C.L. Munster. 2020. Assessing the climate change impacts on grain sorghum yield and irrigation water use under full and deficit irrigation strategies. Transactions of the ASABE Special collection on Global Water Security. 63(1): 81-94.
- Himanshu1, S.K., Ale, J.P. Bordovsky, and M. Darapuneni. 2019. Evaluation of crop-growth-stage-based deficit irrigation strategies for cotton production in the Southern High Plains. Agricultural Water Management Special Issue on “Managing the Ogallala”. Vol. 225, 105782.
- Kothari2, K., S. Ale, J. Bordovsky, K. Thorp, D. Porter, and C. Munster. 2019. Simulation of efficient irrigation management strategies for grain sorghum production over different climate variability classes. Agricultural Systems. 170: 49-62.
- Chen2, Y., Ale, and N. Rajan. 2018. Implications of Biofuel-Induced Changes in Land Use and Crop Management on Sustainability of Agriculture in the Texas High Plains. Biomass and Bioenergy. 111: 13-21.
- Adhikari1, P., N. Omani1, Ale, P.B. DeLaune, K. R. Thorp, E.M. Barnes, and G. Hoogenboom. 2017. Simulated effects of winter wheat cover crop on cotton production systems of the Texas Rolling Plains. Transactions of ASABE Special collection on Crop Modeling Applications in Agricultural Water Management. 60(6): 2083-2096.
- Chen2, Y., Ale, N. Rajan, and C.L. Munster. 2017. Assessing the hydrologic and water quality impacts of biofuel-induced changes in land use and management. Global Change Biology – Bioenergy. 9(9): 1461-1475.
- Park1, J., Ale, W.R. Teague, and J. Jeong. 2017. Evaluating the ranch and watershed scale impacts of using traditional and adaptive multi-paddock grazing on runoff, sediment, and nutrient losses in North Texas. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment. 240: 32-44.
- Park1, J., S. Ale, W.R. Teague, and S.L. Dowhower. 2017. Simulating hydrologic responses to alternate grazing management practices at the ranch and watershed scales. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 72(2): 102-121.
- Modala2, N.R., S. Ale, D. Goldberg, M. Olivares, C. Munster, N. Rajan and R. Feagin. 2017. Climate change projections for the Texas High Plains and Rolling Plains. Theoretical and Applied Climatology. 129(1): 263-280.
- Chaudhuri1, S. and S. Ale, 2014. Long-term (1930-2010) trends in groundwater levels in Texas: Influences of soils, landcover and water use. Science of the Total Environment. 490: 379-390.
- Chaudhuri1, S. and S. Ale, 2014. Lon-term (1960-2010) trends in groundwater contamination and salinization in the Ogallala aquifer in Texas, USA. Journal of Hydrology. 513: 376-390.
- A mobile app for cotton irrigation management | ASABE’s RESOURCE Magazine
- Meet a Scientist: Srinivasulu Ale | 2/17/2022 | Conservation Matters
- Adapting crops for future climate conditions | 10/13/2021 | AgriLife Today
- Pasture-cropping practice could improve degraded Texas grassland soils | 2/16/2021 | AgriLife Today
- New app development could aid crop irrigation management | 2/12/2020 | AgriLife Today
- Study suggests growth-stage-based irrigation strategies for high-yielding cotton | 11/18/2019 | AgriLife Today
- Grain sorghum irrigation water-use efficiency dependent on weather conditions | 1/29/2019 | AgriLife Today