- Undergraduate Education
- B.S., U.P. Agricultural University – India, Engineering and Technology, 1967
- Graduate Education
- M.S., University of Guelph – Canada, Engineering, 1970
- Ph.D., Colorado State University, Civil Engineering, 1974
- • Outstanding Alumnus Award (college level and university level), G.B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, India | November 2016
- • 2016 Merriam Improved Irrigation Award, U.S. Society for Irrigation and Drainage Professionals | October 2016
- • 2016 Jiangsu Friendship Medal and Award, Hohai University | September 2016
- • 2016 Sigma Xi Outstanding Distinguished Scientist | May 2016
- • 2015 Life Time Achievement Award, Indian Association of Soil and Water Conservationists | March 2016
- • Elected to the grade of Distinguished Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers | October 2015
- • 2015 International Water Resources Association Crystal Drop Laureate | April 2015
Surface-water Hydrology, Groundwater Hydrology, Hydraulics, Irrigation Engineering, Environmental Quality and Water Resources. Principal research topics have encompassed: 1. Watershed modeling, 2. Erosion and Sediment Transport in Upland Watersheds, 3. Streamflow Forecasting, 4. Dam Break Analysis, 5. Entropy-Based Modeling, 6. Network Design, 7. Groundwater Modeling, and 8. Hydrologic Impacts of Climate Change.
- Singh, V.P., Entropy Theory for Movement of Moisture in Soils. Water Resources Research, Vol. 46, W03516, doi:10.1029/2009WR008288, pp. 1-12, 2010.
- Singh, V.P., Entropy Theory for Derivation of Infiltration Equations. Water Resources Research, Vol. 46, W03527, doi: 10.1029/2009WR008193, pp. 1-20, 2010.
- Chowdhary, H. and Singh, V.P., Reducing Uncertainty in Estimates of Frequency Distribution Parameters Using Composite Likelihood Approach and Copula-Based Bivariate Distributions. Water Resources Research, Vol. 46, W11516,doi: 10.1029/2009WR008490, pp. 1-23, 2010.
- Long, D. and Singh, V.P., Integration of the GG Model with SEBAL to Produce Time Series of Evapotranspiration of High Spatial Resolution at Watershed Scales. Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 115, D21128, doi:10.1029/2010JD014092, 1-22, 2010.
- Hao, Z. and Singh, V.P., Single-Site Monthly Streamflow Simulation Using Entropy Theory. Water Resources Research, Vol. 47, W09528, doi:10.1029/2010WR010208, pp.1-14, 2011.
- Zhang, Q., Singh, V.P., Li, J. and Chen, X., Analysis of Maximum Consecutive Wet Days. Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 116, D23106, doi:10.1029/2011JD016088, 2011.
- Long, D. and Singh, V.P., A Modified Surface Energy Balance Algorithm for Land (M-SEBAL) Based on a Trapezoidal Framework. Water Resources Research, Vol. 48, W02528, doi: 10.1029/2011WR010607, pp. 1-24, 2012.
- Long, D. and Singh, V.P., Deriving Theoretical Boundaries to Address Scale Dependencies of Triangle Models for Evapotranspiration Estimation. Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 117, pp. 1-17, DO5113, doi: 10.1029/2011JD017079, 2012.
- Li, Chao, Singh, V.P. and Mishra, A.K., Simulation of the Entire Range of Daily Precipitation Using a Hybrid Probability Distribution. Water Resources Research, Vol. 48, pp.1-17, W03521,doi:10.1029/2011WR011446, 2012.
- Li, C., Singh, V.P. and Mishra, A.K., Entropy Theory-Based Criterion for Hydrometric Network Evaluation and Design: Maximum Information and Minimum Redundancy.Water Resources Research, Vol. 48, W05521, doi: 10.1029/2011WR011251, pp. 1-15, 2012.