- Sandun Fernando
- Professor, Director of Graduate Programs
- 303C Scoates Hall
- (979) 845-9793
- Undergraduate Education
- B.S., University of Peradeniya – Sri Lanka, Agricultural Engineering, 1995
- Graduate Education
- M.S., University of Nebraska – Lincoln, Agricultural and Biological Engineering, 2001
- Ph.D., University of Nebraska – Lincoln, Agricultural and Biological Systems Engineering, 2003
Our laboratory is interested in understanding and harnessing the power of biomolecular interactions. Biological systems thrive as a result of complex intermolecular interactions and deciphering these will help engineer products and processes that are critical to our day to day needs. We utilize molecular dynamic simulation assisted techniques to understand processes at a molecular level followed by experimental verification.
Some example projects that we continue to be involved in include:
- Enzyme-substrate-ligand interactions (for bioenergy, biosensing applications)
- Protein-ligand interactions (antiviral agents, antimicrobial agents, drugs)
- Catalysis (bioenergy, fuel cells)
- Surface functionalization (SAMs, separations)
If they are “involved”, then we are interested! And we will be watching!!
- Fernando, S., Fernando, T., Stefanik, M., Eyer, L., and D. Ruzek. An Approach for Zika Virus Inhibition using Homology Structure of the Envelope Protein. Molecular Biotechnology. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12033-016-9979-1
- Gunawardena, D. A., and S. Fernando. 2016. Catalytic conversion of glucose micro-pyrolysis vapors in methane – with isotope labeling to reveal reaction pathways. Energy Technology. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ente.201600458.
- Mahadevan, A., Fernando, T. and S. Fernando. 2016. Iron-sulfur-based Single Molecular Wires for Enhancing Charge Transport in Enzyme-based Bioelectronic Systems. Biosensors and Bioelectronics. Elsevier. 15;78:477-82. PMID: 26657591 DOI: 1016/j.bios.2015.11.086
- Samarasinghe, N. and S. Fernando. 2015. Moisture Displacement and Simultaneous Migration of Surface-functionalized Algae from Water to an Extraction Solvent Using Ionic Polyelectrolytes. Renewable Energy. 2015, 81, (0), 639-643. doi:10.1016/j.renene.2015.03.053.
- Mahadevan, A.; Gunawardena*, D.; Karthikeyan, R.; Fernando, S. 2014. Potentiometric vs amperometric sensing of glycerol using glycerol dehydrogenase immobilized via layer-by-layer self-assembly. Microchimica Acta. 2014, 1-9. (DOI) 1007/s00604-014-1394-3.
- Nawaratna, G., Rooney*, W., Leonhardt*, C., and S. Fernando. 2013. Phase Stability of Triglyceride/Alcohol/Catalytic-Surfactant System in Transesterification. Energy Technology. Wiley. 1, (5-6), 359-363.
- Gunawardena, D. A., and S. Fernando. 2012. Performance Analysis of a Proton Exchange Membrane-Free Biological Fuel Cell Based on Lactate Dehydrogenase. Biological Engineering Transactions. 5 (1), 33-46.
- Nawaratna, G., Fernando, S., Lacey, R.E., and S. Adhikari. 2010. Reforming Glycerol under Electro-statically Charged Surface Conditions. Energy and Environmental Science. 2010, 3, 1593-1599. DOI: 10.1039/c0ee00047g.