- Undergraduate Education
- B.S., H.T.E.I. of Epirus, Faculty of Agriculture, Greece, 2003
- Graduate Education
- M.Sc., School of Geoscience, The University of Edinburgh, UK, 2005
- Ph.D., School of Geoscience, The University of Edinburgh, UK, 2009
- 2014 - Scotland’s Innovation voucher with Urban Farming Co.
- 2008 - British Society of Soil Science fund for the EUROSOIL 2008, Vienna Austria
- 2006 - British Society of Soil Science fund for the 18th World Congress of Soil Science, Philadelphia
- 2006 - James Rennie Bequest Science fund for the 18th World Congress of Soil Science, Philadelphia
Agro-environmental science, carbon sequestration, water and energy management, climate change focusing on greenhouse gas measurements and mitigation in agricultural systems. She works to make significant contributions in the environmental sector by combining existing knowledge to improve methodologies and data analysis, by examining key legumes and arable crops under different farming systems, including biochar, and focusing on three major issues: i) methods to manage and sustain soil food production; ii) ways to use fewer inputs to protect the environment and iii) the use of modelling approaches to predict and make case scenarios for profitable routes. Pappa’s work on these issues is intended to lead to further project developments, involving regional production systems, novel food and non-food uses of crops, establishment of new inventory data on the environmental intensity of arable production systems, efficient use of energy and water nexus for the maximum food production, and land use/soil management to reduce environmental pollution.
- Pappa V.A., Scalise A., Gelsomino A., Rees R. M. (2017) Pea cultivar and wheat residues affect carbon/nitrogen dynamics in pea-triticale intercropping: A microcosms approach. (accepted Science of Total Environment-March 2017).
- Pappa V.A., Kapsis P., Mente E. (2016) An overview of aquaponics in the Mediterranean Region: the case of Greece. Water Journal (accepted in Journal of Fisheries Sciences-March 2016)
- Maria L. Cayuela, Eduardo Aguilera, Alberto Sanz-Cobena, Dean C. Adams, Diego Abalos, Louise Barton, Rebecca Ryals, Whendee L. Silver, Marta A. Alfaro, Valentini A. Pappa, Pete Smith, Josette Garnier, Gilles Billen, Lex Bouwman, Alberte Bondeau, Luis Lassaletta. (2017) Direct nitrous oxide emissions in Mediterranean climate cropping systems: emission factors based on a meta-analysis of available measurement data. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, Vol.238, Pages 25-35, 2017
- Iannetta P.M., M. Young, J. Bachinger, G. Bergkvist, R. J. Lopez-Bellido, J. D. Bregón, M. Monti, Valentini A. Pappa, M. Reckling, C.F.E. Topp, R. Walker, R. M Rees, C. A. Watson, E. K. James, G. R. Squire, G. S. Begg. 2016. A comparative nitrogen balance and productivity analysis of legume and non-legume supported cropping systems. Frontiers Plant Science, https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2016.01700.