- Undergraduate Education
- B.S., University of Novi Sad, Serbia, Food Engineering, 1977
- Graduate Education
- M.S., Iowa State University, Chemical Engineering, 1983
- Ph.D., Iowa State University, Chemical Engineering, 1986
- Recovery and purification of recombinant biomolecules from transgenic systems
- Characterization of plant-interfering components to protein purification
- Bioprocess design and economics
The goal of the Bioseparations Lab is to develop novel and cost-effective strategies for recovery and purification of recombinant and native proteins by understanding constraints posed by the biological system and the product. Lab members have experience in protein biochemistry, analytical methods development, bioseparations, process design and economics. By leveraging the scientific and engineering expertise we strive to find solutions for a variety of bioprocessing and separations challenges that currently face industrial biotechnology.
- Munjal, N., Garzon-Sanabria, A. J., Quinones, K., Gregory, J., Nikolov, Z. L., 2014. Light-induced production of an antibody fragment and malaria vaccine antigen fromChlamydomonas reinhardtii. Processes 2: 625-638.
- Hood, C. N, Hood, K. R. , Woodard, S. L., Deviah, S. P., Jeoh, T., Wilken, L. R. , Nikolov, Z. L., Egelkrout, E., Howard, J .A., Hood, E, E. 2014. Purification and characterization of recombinant Cel7A from maize seed. Biochem. Biotechnol. 174: 2864-2874.
- Garzon-Sanabria, A. J., Ramirez-Caballero, S.S., Moss, F., Nikolov, Z. L., 2013. Effect of algogenic organic matter (AOM) and sodium chloride on Nannochloropsis salinaflocculation efficiency, Bioresource Technology, 143: 231-237.
- Barros G.O.F, Ballen, M.A.T., Woodard S. L., Wilken, L. R., White, S. G., Damaj, M. B., Mirkov, T. E., and Nikolov Z. L. 2013. Recovery of bovine lysozyme from transgenic sugarcane stalks. Bioprocess Biosystems. Eng. 36: 1407-1416.
- Egelkrout, E., McGaughey, K., Keener, T., Ferleman, A., Woodard, S., Devaiah, S. Nikolov, Z. L, E. and Howard, J. 2013. Enhanced Expression Levels of Cellulase Enzymes Using Multiple Transcription Units. Bioenerg. Res. 6: 699-710.
- Garzon-Sanabria A. J, Davis, R., Nikolov, Z. L. 2012. Harvesting Nannochloris oculataby inorganic flocculation. Bioresource Technol., 118: 418-424.
- Wilken, L. R. and Z. L. Nikolov. 2012. Recovery and purification of plant-made foreign proteins. Advances 30: 419-43.